Spring is just around the corner; it’s time to leave the warm clothes behind and bring out the shorts, short dresses, and tank tops. So that your little rascal can enjoy the outdoors with peace of mind, we share these skincare products against the sun.
Your children enjoy the outdoors; however, after being at the beach or going out on a sunny day, they return with red arms and necks.
How is the skin of children?
The rapid change of tone in the dermis when sunbathing is because the skin of children is more sensitive and can burn more quickly than adults, especially children who are less than three years old since their production of melanin (responsible for giving color to hair, skin, and eyes) is lower than that of the grownups.
There is a layer of the skin called the stratum corneum, and it works as a protective shield against sunlight. This layer is thinner in children.
Less sun and more protection
- Sunscreen: For children, the greatest protection is recommended; use a product with a factor of 50+.
- Shade for children under one year: It is recommended not to expose them to the sun for babies. If you go to the beach or a pool, keep them in the shade.
- Avoid exposure in the most intense hours: Between 10 am and 4 pm is when the sun’s rays are the most intense.
- Beware of reflection: Water or sand reflects sunlight and can also cause skin burns.
- Apply the sunscreen: Spread the cream all over the body. Apply 30 minutes before sunbathing and every two hours.
- On cloudy days, you also have to protect yourself: Regardless of whether there are clouds in the sky, you must follow the same precautions as on a sunny day since the sunrays pass through the clouds.
- Do not apply perfumes or fragrances: Before being in the sun, do not put on these products, as they can stain the skin.
- Protect sensitive areas: Although you have to take care of the whole body, the shoulders, nose, ears, and the back of the feet are more susceptible to sunburn.
- Barrier clothing: Long-sleeved clothing and hats help your child enjoy outdoor sports and activities like hiking.
- Do not expose yourself for a long time: You should not abuse time in the sun even if you use sunscreen.
Many moms wonder if sunscreen should be applied to babies. The Mexican Foundation for Dermatology (FMD) comments that it has not been fully demonstrated that the chemicals in protectors are safe for the skin of children under six months, so it recommends protecting them with clothing that covers the legs and arms, with caps, and keeping them in the shade.
The institution also asks parents to promote to their little ones the importance of protecting themselves from the sun so that it becomes a daily practice.
“It is very important to influence the child’s education regarding skin and sun care from an early age. It must be integrated into the practice of recreational and sports activities and daily life.
Prevention of skin cancer
The use of sunscreen during childhood can prevent the development of skin cancer, so childhood is a very important stage for care against the sun’s rays and avoiding problems when they are adults, says the study “Effects of solar radiation and updating in photoprotection”, published in the Science Direct journal.
The research comments that children spend approximately between an hour and a half to five hours outdoors, so all routines must be modified both at home and at school to reduce exposure to the sun and decrease the risk of developing skin cancer as adults.
Tell us on Facebook how you take care of your children from the sun.
Translated by: Ligia M. Oliver Manrique de Lara
Spanish version: Here